Sunday, November 8, 2009

Peters and Pearlman's Commentary on the Pilot

I like how the exec producers did the commentary on ABC's website.  Definitely go catch it.  However, the commentary is as text, not as voice or visuals, so it isn't distracting.  If the video is full-screened, the commentary is lost.  Viewers who have yet to see the pilot yet should watch it fresh and /then/ take in the producer's comments.  I personally like to form my own opinion initially and then be exposed to other people's impressions.




The commentary doesn't keep up with the video unfortunately, so I might have to watch it again.  However, watching this episode again makes a lot of things stand out, such as the meaning in the priests' conversation.  Oh, update.  It seems like there actually wasn't any commentary at all for four minutes.  The Fibbies talking also has added sentiment - where "Wash" is asking Evans what she thinks of the new Visitors.  These seemingly random conversations have so much foresight.

Another thing that stands out at me is perhaps unintended, but the news anchor's question to the audience - should the media be so hard on the Visitors (ie, Obama)?  Check out EW for a well-written discussion of the V-Obama discussion.  Not to imply anything here, but I seriously doubt a married gay man (as in he's got a husband) would be writing something to make Bill O'Reilly happy unless there's a log cabin and a stovepipe hat involved.

ROFL - Love this comment at 18:22:  Scott Peters: The water is real.

Honestly, they could have put a little more effort into this commentary.

Ew.  The cg apples look totally fake.. but that is probably because it is a digital transmission rather than on tv.

Once again, the priests have such a fascinating conversation.

The producers comment that Tyler's shirt is different than it was on the last scene and nobody noticed.  I noticed - but I assumed because the shirts were different that time had passed.  Hello.  We pick up on those clues and generally assume what a clothing change means... that time has passed or it is another day.  I watched 500 Days of Summer the other day back and forth watching for clothes to try to trace the actual sequence of the breakup based off what people were wearing, so we do notice.

Interesting.  The Vs tell the anchor that he has been "selected."  That sounds a lot like the language used for the Draft, not an interview.  It is like he has been drafted to be part of their pr/propaganda.

Watching scenes with Wash/Dale/Tudyk... I'm so unhappy that they revealed him so early.  He would have been a fun ongoing character.

OH!  I missed this the first time around - The location for the Sleeper Cell meet revealed at 29:00 is 4400 Pier Avenue in Brooklyn.  How appropriate given the connection to The 4400!!  Oh, they say something about it at 33:00... a little late, eh? :P

Anna - Process and expel all negative emotions... sounds like shedding or a talking a long and effective waste disposal of the biological type.

Another thing I noticed initially, but was watching for this time was Anna's rapid and irregular blinking.  She'll blink several times in succession but then not blink for a bit.  It seems reptilian, but I don't know very much about them.

All in all, the commentary is interesting, but I would have liked more.  HEll, I always want more!

No comments:

Post a Comment